Saturday, October 3, 2009

Lemony Cheese Tart with Sour Cream Glaze (by Kat)

At the library last weekend, a bright orange cookbook caught my eye. I swear it was the color, and not the big beautiful chocolate cake on the front.

You believe me, right?

Good.

The book is called "The Modern Baker," and is written by Nick Malgieri. In the introduction he announces that "This book focuses on showing you how much fun baking can be, and encouraging you to make it an everyday event in your home..." He sounds like my kind of guy!


I fell in love with a photo on page 172 of a gorgeous and simple lemon cheese tart. I've wanted to try a sour cream glaze on a cheesecake, but never seemed able to risk it in the past. But on a tart, well that's a different story, right? I could take that risk.

No, there really isn't a difference. But let me pretend there is, ok? Because it's the allowance for pretending that lets me take risks.

Here are the ingredients for the filling. Aren't they pretty? Aren't they FEW in number?


First, cream the cheese and the sugar. Yum. Creeeeeamy!

Add the eggs and yolks. Scout's promise, my hands were clean!

Here's what the crust looks like, just prior to filling. This type of tart pan could win me over, since I don't have to worry about fluting the edge of the crust. It was the first time I'd used it, because it was bought just for this adventure.

Any adventure requiring the purchase of new pans is an excellent adventure. My friend Bill said that. Or maybe it was Ted?


And finally, this is what comes out of the oven and the glaze has been spread over the top. You should definitely test carefully for doneness of the cheesecake, as mine took much longer than the book called for. Had I not been on the telephone with Bet, I might have noticed it wasn't thoroughly set when I took it out. As it was, I was busy practicing my verbal restraint, dealing with the burns on one hand and the phone in the other.

The light in the kitchen faded over the course of the phone call, so I had to find another place in the house that had remaining daylight.

Ta da! I give you tart in my living room!


My cat says "I'm in the light. Let me get myself cleaned up and you can take a picture of me."


A finished slice of tart, for you.

Ok, all right. But really, you weren't around to eat it, and I couldn't let it go to waste, right?

So, here's my modified recipe from "The Modern Baker" by Nick Malgieri.

16 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
zest from one lemon
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 cup sour cream
unbaked 11" tart crust*

Cream the first two ingredients, add the second two ingredients and cream some more.
Beat eggs together and slowly drizzle into mixer.
Add sour cream and give a final mix.

Bake about 30 minutes (45 minutes for me) or until center is set.

Combine 1 cup sour cream, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla and spread over top of still-hot tart.

Cool completely before serving.

*Tart Crust
1.5 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, in small pieces
1 egg plus 1 yolk
1 tablespoon water

Combine dry ingredients in a food processor, add butter and process until homogenous, add egg and water, and mix until a ball forms. Best if chilled before using.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, this sounds delicious. Lemon and sour cream with tart crust -- yum! Also, the kitty picture is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words!
    It may be a darling picture, but he's NOT a darling kitty. He scared the vet out of her office last week! She said that he's the second most terrifying animal she has ever dealt with!
    ~Kat

    ReplyDelete