Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chocolate Ice Cream (by Kat)



So, I felt really bad about not having any pictures to post of the chocolate ice cream I mentioned in the last post. Really bad. So, just for you (certainly not for my hips!), I made another batch.

My husband, who will now forever be referred to as "Mr. Boom" on this website, helped out with this batch of ice cream, and he can help churn my cream any time...

The recipe, if you didn't memorize it from the last post, goes as follows:

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla

Combine sugars and cocoa in a very large bowl. Add milk and whisk until smooth. Add cream and vanilla, mix well, and freeze according to your maker's instructions.

Well, Mr. Boom used approximately 1 1/2 cups of cocoa, and looked at me with eyes that said "I dare you to stop me..." I did not, in fact, try to stop him.

Holy heck, people. The recipe now calls for the super sized serving of cocoa. Don't try making it any other way.

I make mine in a large glass measuring bowl with a handle and a pour spout. It's so much easier to get the mix into the ice cream maker when you have a handle to grab. You know what? I should be making my soap in one of these, too. Nothing like trying to keep hold of the edge of a bowl slick with oils and burning lye while you try to scrape out the soap slurry.

Oh, but we're making ice cream, aren't we?! Dry ingredients into the bowl!

Add the whole milk...

...and stir until sugar is more or less dissolved.

Add the cream, and then study the Rorschach test.


Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker and freeze according to
your maker's instructions.

One hour later...


Ho boy baby, now we're talking!!!!


I need to get a new whisk. This one broke about three months ago. Maybe by next Christmas I'll get around to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment